What is MERV?
- MERV is an acronym for MINIMUM EFFICIENCY REPORTING VALUE.
- MERV is a relative performance rating system created by ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers).
- MERV measures the filter's ability to capture a variety of airborne particles – from large particles measured in microns down to sub-micron particles.
- The higher the MERV rating the better the filter is at removing substances from air.
- MERV ratings are assigned to air filters or filter media that have been tested to an ASHRAE standard.
How often should I change my air filter?
- We recommend checking your filter every 30 days.
- Most standard 1” and 2” pleated filters indicate the filter can last up to 90 days.
- Fiberglass filters have a recommended change out period of every 30 days.
- Each home environment is different- pets, remodeling/construction, smoking can all reduce filter life.
- Some HVAC systems are designated to hold 4’/5” filters. These Residential Air Cleaner filters – 4”/5” pleated filters – can last from 6-12 months depending on the filter.
Are your filters UV compatible?
- No, our filters are not UV light compatible.
How do I install my HVAC filter?
- Turn Fan Off - Always turn the system or fan to OFF before removing the existing filter
- Remove Packaging from new filter - carefully remove the plastic wrap and or label from new filter
- Record Install Date – Record the date in the space provided on the new filter
- Air Flow Arrow – It is very important that this arrow is pointed in the right direction. To prevent a filter collapse it should point towards the system/fan. These are found only on our pleated filters.
- Additional notes:
- Fiberglass filters (without metal) do not have air flow arrows and will function regardless which side of the filter faces the system.
- Washable and/or Cut-to-Size filters must have the plastic grid between the filter pad and the motor/system. In other words, the air flows through the filter pad and then exits out the grid side.
Why do some filters don`t have an air flow arrow?
- Only our pleated and washable/reusable air filters have air flow directional arrows.
- Fiberglass air filters do not have air flow directional arrows since it does not matter which side of the filter the air flows through.
- See “How Do I Install My HVAC Filter?” for additional details.
How often do I clean a washable filter?
- We recommend washable/reusable filters be cleaned monthly.
- Regular cleanings of the filter media are required to prevent the filter from clogging and to prevent equipment malfunction or damage.
- Be sure the media is completely dry before reinstalling the filter in your system.
- Specific cleaning instructions are on the product label.
How do you select an air filter?
- If you are interested in only protecting your HVAC system while minimizing strain on the system, then you can focus on lower MERV rated filters.
- If you have a member in your household that is sensitive to airborne allergens or that may have a medical condition that will be agitated by dust, pollen, and other airborne particles then you should shop for a filter with a higher MERV rating.
- You could also consider alternating the levels of filtration seasonally to help save on money. Install higher MERVs during pollen season and lower MERVs when pollen is not in season.